[Tabs] NABS October Bulletin

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 03:26:15 UTC 2009

National Association of Blind Students
>From the Desk of the President
Saturday October 3, 2009

In This Bulletin:
1. Get Ready for Washington Seminar!
2. Announcements:
Colorado Student Activities
Virginia Youth Blowout

1. Get Ready for Washington Seminar!

	The National Association of Blind Students will be having its next
regular meeting just before the NFB’s annual Washington Seminar on
Sunday, January 31, 2010 at the Holiday Inn Capitol in Washington,
D.C. The NABS meeting is an all-day event including presentations and
breakout sessions on topics important to blind students. If you have
any ideas for topics that you’d like to see included on this year’s
agenda, simply reply to this email and let us know what’s on your
mind!

For more details about the legislative portion of the Washington
Seminar or hotel reservation logistics, talk with your NFB state
affiliate president. A list of NFB state presidents can be found at
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/State_and_Local_Organizations.asp

We look forward to seeing you in January!

2. Announcements
Please note that I’ve decided to include only announcements about
local student division activities in these monthly bulletins in order
to make them shorter and more manageable. Announcements about
scholarships, fellowships, contests and other relevant topics will be
distributed throughout the month as I receive them. If you no longer
wish to get these announcements, please let me know by replying to
this message.

Colorado Association of Blind Students Activities:
Marty Rahn, president of the Colorado Association of Blind Students,
writes the following:
The Colorado Association of Blind Students, (CABS), has begun a
Mentoring Program in conjunction with the Colorado School for The Deaf
and The Blind, (CSDB), located in Colorado Springs Colorado.  On
Saturday September 19th, 2009, severall CABS members went down to CSDB
to meet with some of the students who were there attending the
school's Homecoming festivities, and to set up a time for a future
meeting.  We are headed down to CSDB again on October 15th to have an
ice cream social and philosophy discussion with the studetns with
visual impairments who live in the dorms on campus.  We will be making
matches in the next week or so, and plan to begin providing email and
phone support to mentees soon.

Virginia Youth Blowout:
The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia, in association with
the Virginia Student Division, is pleased to announce the second
Virginia Youth Blowout, to be held at the National Center in Baltimore
October 23-25. We are expecting 40 high schoolers from around the
state to attend and learn about techniques for succeeding as a blind
student, advancing their leadership skills, and building their
confidence. About a dozen blind adult and college student mentors will
lead the activities and supervise the students. Mark Riccobono will
lead his very popular activity from two years ago with the students,
where he taught them how a blind person can safely use a chainsaw to
cut through a piece of wood. We're also hoping to have a hybrid car
demonstration, and teach the students how to safely travel in a world
with increasing numbers of quiet cars. Plus, the students will learn
how to safely break boards with their bare hands! For more details or
to receive an application, please contact John Bailey at
 703-994-2040             or
 john_bailey17 at hotmail.com

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org