[Tabs] NABS July Bulletin!

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 01:49:18 UTC 2010

National Association of Blind Students
>From the Desk of the President
July 19, 2010

In This Bulletin:
1.	Convetnntioneport!
2.	State Division Announcements

1.  Convention Report!
As usual, we had a busy, productive, and fun NFB national convention,
this time in Dallas, Texas, on July 3-8.  As always we heard many
informative and energizing speeches during our general sessions and
the banquet.  If you weren't at convention, or even if you were,
you'll be able to read the presidential report, banquet address,
resolutions, and other convention highlights in the August-September
issue of the Braille Monitor.  Details should be in the next NABS
bulletin.
NABS had some exciting activities as well.  On Saturday afternoon, the
NABS board put on high school and college readiness discussions for
youth, and on Saturday night, we had a student hospitality night at
convention for the first time in many years.  Several students dropped
in to hang out with us, some of whom were first-time convention
attendees, and we hope to continue the student hospitality social at
future conventions.  On Sunday evening, we held our annual business
meeting where we learned about new developments in access to academic
materials, including the popular Blackboard Learn platform, and heard
from two enthusiastic NABS members about the contribution the NFB has
made in their lives.  At the end of the meeting, we held elections for
two of our board positions, and Meghan Whalen and Darian Smith were
elected to serve an additional two-year term on the board.
Personally, I enjoyed meeting some of our new members, and I hope that
you will continue to be active in NABS and your local NFB affiliate.
If you just joined NABS at this last convention and want to stay
connected, I'd encourage you to find the NABS chapter in your state,
if there is one.  There's a list of NABS state chapters, and contacts
for states that don't have NABS chapters yet, at
www.nabslink.org

You can either fan National Association of Blind Students on Facebook,
follow us on Twitter, or keep reading the monthly bulletins to find
out about upcoming student conference calls and our next in-person
meeting at Washington Seminar.  Finally, if you aren't on our email
discussion list and would like to correspond with other NABS members,
you can join by going to

State Division Announcements:
>From New Mexico:
We are selling mugs with pictures on them of different sceens of our
state and they cost $10 per mug. Please contact me via email if people
are interested in these mugs. I hope to eventually send out
discriptions of each mug we have and are selling and those in a
brochure we are using. Also we are selling T-shirts with the Whozit
logo on the left brest and the text message acrynym for too good to be
forgotten “2G2B4G,” just above the whozit, and the Louis Braille coin
on the back of the shirt. We are selling them for buy one get one half
off. The price is $10 for one shirt and $15 for two. We are selling
2XL for $12. Sizes range from small to 2XL.
If you or anyone has any questions, please email me at
nmabs.president at gmail.com.
Thank you,
Tara
 From California: Please see attached flyer.

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org