[Tabs] NABS May Bulletin!

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Tue May 4 02:48:24 UTC 2010

national Association of Blind Students
>From the Desk of the President
May 3, 2010

In This Bulletin:
1.  Convention Countdown!
2.  News from the Membership Committee!
3.  State division Announcements

1.  Convention Countdown!
In exactly two months we will begin gathering in Dallas for our
weeklong National Federation of the Blind (NFB) annual convention!
Convention activities will begin on Saturday, July 3, and the
convention will adjourn after the banquet on Thursday, July 8.  Why
should you come to the convention?
Meet other blind students across the country (including people you may
know from the NABS listserv) at our annual NABS meeting on Sunday,
July 4.
Meet blind lawyers, scientists, musicians, writers, social workers,
and other professionals in our division meetings on July 4 and 5.
Learn more about our training centers and how you can attend one.
Browse the latest in assistive technology at the exhibit hall.
Attend our general sessions on July 6, 7, and 8 to learn about
important developments in technology, rehabilitation, and legislation
for the blind.
Have fun at karaoke, dancing, a talent show, Monte Carlo Night, and
other exciting events!
There will also be exciting workshops and social opportunities
specifically for teens throughout the convention.
Hotel rooms are still available! Call the Hilton Anatole at (214)
761-7500 to reserve your room today.  Reservations will run out before
June 1, so call soon.
To pre-register for the convention, go to
www.nfb.org
It's not too late to talk to your state president if you need
financial assistance to attend the convention or if you would like to
find roommates.
See you at convention!

News from the Membership Committee:
Greetings    fellow students!
The national Association of Blind Students will have a conference call
regarding NFB Philosophy.   This call is to take   place on Sunday,
May 9th at 8p.m. eastern time.
If you are interested in joining this call, please join us by calling
712.775.7100 and dialing the pass code 257963.
On the call, we will have special guest   speakers Ron Gardner
(president NFB of Utah) and Sam Gleese (president NFB of Mississippi).
  We are please to have such dynamic leaders with great experience in
the movement joining us on what should be a can’t - miss call.
  So, no matter how long you’ve been involved with the NFB; there
promises to be something for you!
Please join us on Sunday and   stay tuned to your Face book, Twitter
and to your locally moderated list serve for more information
regarding the call, including how to hear the call as it happens!
Wishing you the best in your  finals,
  The Nabs membership committee.
The membership committee is also working on planning some fun student
events at convention! If you have ideas or suggestions, please contact
Darian Smith at
dsmithnfb at gmail.com
or Janice Jeang at
Janice.jeang at gmail.com
More details will be announced in June.

State Division Announcements:
>From Wisconsin:
The NFB of Wisconsin held their 35th annual state convention the
weekend of April 23-25 in Appleton Wisconsin.  This year, WABS hosted
the convention for the first time.  Friday morning began with
mentoring opportunities with the younger students in astronomy and
chemistry.  We had our business meeting/seminar on Friday afternoon
and rounded out the evening with a talent show.  Saturday, over the
lunch break, we held elections, and the new board is as follows:
President, Chelsea Reilly
Vice President, Sarah Baebler
Secretary, Laurie Holzmann
Treasurer, Meghan Whalen
First board member, Imran Ahmed
Second board member, Joanne Stark
After a hasty election, we darted outdoors to the rain and whipped
cream for an opportunity of a lifetime.  How many people can say they
had the chance to throw pies in the face of Dr. Maurer?  Not many, and
they all come from Wisconsin.
We would like to thank our targets.  They included:
John Fritz, President of NFBW
WABS' very own Vice President, Sarah Baebler
Our NABS rep Sean Whalen
and of course, Dr. Marc Maurer, President, National Federation of the Blind.
Saturday evening, prior to the banquet, we had an opportunity for
people to have their pictures taken.  Proceeds went to WABS.
Following the banquet and the auction, WABS held a prom, where people
had the opportunity to have more pictures taken and dance the night
away in their formal attire.
Sunday, shortly after convention adjourned, WABS rounded up
conventioneers to head to a nearby middle school to play goalball for
a couple of hours.
In the upcoming year, WABS plans to organize a variety of events and
fundraising including but not limited to:
selling pizza at the Lodi Agricultural Fair
conducting our annual seminar with rock climbing
swarming Washington DC and hopefully not getting snowed in
and various fundraising activities as needed.

We eagerly anticipate the upcoming year with this new dynamic board.

Best,
Chelsea Reilly, President
Wisconsin Association of Blind Students
>From Utah:
Uabs will be holding a game night fundraiser on may 21st at 8pm at the
red lion hotel at are state convention.
For more information, contact Mac Biggers at
utahabs at yahoo.com
>From Michigan:
If you have been a college student in the state of Michigan within the
past five years, then the Michigan Association of Blind Students would
like to hear from you. We are currently in the process of conducting a
survey on the quality of services college students are receiving from
the Michigan Commission for the Blind. If you would like to take part
in our survey, send an email to students.nfbmi at gmail.com. We will be
sending out surveys beginning on Monday, May 10, 2010, and would like
to receive completed surveys no later than Monday, June 7, 2010. The
Michigan Commission for the Blind will be holding a special meeting to
discuss the adoption of a new college policy on Monday, June 21, 2010,
and we want to make sure that the voices of college students are heard
during this important meeting.

Elizabeth Mohnke
Michigan Association of Blind Students

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org