[Tall-Corn] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Proud to Present Documentary on Blind Youth

Scott Van Gorp scott.nfbi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 03:09:05 UTC 2017

I'm sending this to the list in case you haven't seen it yet. Some of you
will get duplicates, but want to make sure we get the word out!

Behalf Of National Federation of the Blind via NFBNet-Members-List
National Federation of the Blind Proud to Present Documentary on Blind Youth

Do You Dream in Color? Tells Stories of Blind Students

Baltimore, Maryland (April 4, 2017): The National Federation of the Blind,
in collaboration with the filmmakers, is proud to present Do You Dream in
Color?, a new, critically acclaimed documentary about blind youth and the
educational and societal challenges they face. The film, directed by Abigail
Fuller and Sarah Ivy, is available through video-on-demand platforms from
Uncork'd Entertainment, and public screenings are being planned.

Connor, Nick, Sarah, and Carina are like most teenagers navigating the
growing pains of high school, but unlike their peers these four teens face
another challenge - they're blind. Do You Dream in Color? is a poignant
coming of age story that captures the inspired journeys of four courageous
teenagers as they strive to achieve their goals: to be a sponsored
skateboarder, to travel the world, to become a rock star and to be the first
family member to graduate high school. Their extraordinary stories shine a
provocative light on both the social and institutional obstacles faced by
people who are blind in the sighted world and what it takes to surmount
these barriers.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"This film is a beautiful and powerful chronicle of four young people
striving to achieve their goals and live the lives they want in the face of
the low expectations and misconceptions that too often erect barriers
between blind people and our dreams. In particular, the film accurately
portrays the ways in which our public education system fails blind students.
Watching it deeply moved me and made me more determined, as a blind person,
a father of blind children, and the leader of the National Federation of the
Blind, to fight all the harder for young people like the courageous,
focused, and charismatic teens we see on screen. The National Federation of
the Blind is pleased and proud to work with the makers and distributors of
this well-crafted and enlightening movie to bring it to a wider audience.
This collaboration is a natural fit for us because the film highlights the
need for our continuing work to promote Braille literacy
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7960&qid=1757799
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7961&qid=1757799
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7962&qid=1757799
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7963&qid=1757799
>  of blind students throughout the nation. We believe that the stories told
in this film will spark discussion and enhance understanding of the true
challenges faced by the blind, as well as demonstrating that blindness
itself is not the characteristic that defines an individual or his or her
future."

A winner with film festival audiences and critics, garnering major awards at
the Dallas International Film Festival, San Luis Obispo International Film
Festival, and Big Sky Documentary Film Festival, Do You Dream in Color? has
been described as "powerfully human" by Truth on Cinema and as "a film that
will touch your head and your heart" by Unseen Films.

For more information, including the trailer and where and how to experience
the film, visit www.doyoudreamincolor.com
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7964&qid=1757799
> .

###

blindness is not what holds you back.

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7965&qid=1757799

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7966&qid=1757799

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7967&qid=1757799

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7968&qid=1757799

 <mailto:nfb at nfb.org> Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7969&qid=1757799
> Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230
| (410) 659-9314
Unsubscribe
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=6425&qid=1757799&h=
45b8530144bc2d0e>  | Opt Out