[Tall-Corn] Washington Seminar Legislative Agenda

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Sat Dec 22 16:35:43 UTC 2018

Good Morning All:

'First, I want to apologize for the way the last message went out. It was
supposed to be a blind carbon copy as this one is, but focus went into the
wrong field and it was too late when I sent it. Anyway please see below for
a summary of our Washington Seminar legislative issues for this year and a
reminder about hotel reservations for those who are going. We are working on
our legislative appointments and hope  to have that wrapped up soon. Janae
Burgmeier will be our legislative director in D.C. this year as I am unable
to make it. Please let me know if there are any questions. Thank you! Here
are the issues and fact sheets will be sent out when they are available as
well as information on how to contact our representatives and senators
before Washington Seminar.

.       The Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA)

The cost of critically needed access technology is out of reach for most
blind Americans. By providing a refundable tax credit for qualifying
purchases, Congress will stimulate individual procurement of access
technology and promote affordability of these much-needed tools.

.       Grater Accessibility and Independence through Nonvisual Access
Technology (GAIN) Act

New advancements in digital interfaces for home use medical devices, home
appliances, and fitness equipment create barriers preventing blind
individuals from operating these devices independently. Congress must end
the digital divide that threatens the independence of blind Americans by
developing minimum accessibility requirements for such devices.

.       The Disability Employment Act (DEA)

The AbilityOne Program creates a segregated work environment that fails to
adequately equip workers with disabilities for the challenges of the
twenty-first century. The Disability Employment Act will spur innovation
that will increase and enhance modern employment opportunities for people
with disabilities.

1.    Hotel Reservations- The deadline to reserve your room(s) at the
Holiday Inn Capitol is fast approaching on Friday December 28, 2018. You can
find all of the reservation information on our Washington Seminar webpage
<https://www.nfb.org/washington-seminar> .

Let's use this opportunity to build the Federation and make contacts with
those who can help move these issues forward!

Cordially:

Scott Van Gorp

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website

<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823
082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.