[Tall-Corn] Pre-registration now open for the 2018 National Federation of the Blind of Iowa state convention

Jerad S. Nylin jerad.nfbi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 21:47:02 UTC 2018

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Please view the following attachments for our upcoming state convention
listed below:

Registration letter (text provided below), and printable pre-registration
form

Flyer for our parents of blind children seminar, held on Friday afternoon

Also, one thing to note: Bob Ray is our nominating committee chair, so if
you are interested in running for a board position please let him know. His
phone number is: 515-334-7231 and his email is: rjray at q.com If you have any
questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Jerad

Letter text below

Greetings, Fellow Federationists:

It is time for the annual Convention of the National Federation of the Blind
of Iowa, to be held October 5-October 7, 2018 at the Holiday Inn Hotel &
Suites, Des Moines Northwest, and 4800 Merle Hay Road, Urbandale, Iowa
50322.  This year's convention will be packed with information and fun! We
are honored to have Scott LaBarre, the President of the National Federation
of the blind of Colorado, to serve as our National representative on behalf
of President Mark A. Riccobono.

Committees for the 2018 convention:

Nominating committee chair: Bob Ray - email rjray at q.com

Resolutions committee chair: Tai Tomasi - email tai.tomasi8 at gmail.com

New at the 2018 National Federation of the Blind of Iowa State convention

Child care will be provided on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of our state
convention for families who are interested. On Friday, your kids will have
the option to splash around in the hotel pool and play games with the Iowa
Association of Blind Students. Saturday and Sunday they will enjoy arts and
crafts, music, games, and much more during the convention's general
sessions. We invite all kids under 13 to join us for the fun!

Registration information

Once again this year we have online registration and we would prefer
registration be done online, but as has been the case for the past few
years, you can still mail in your registration along with your check to:
NFBI, P.O. Box 93071, Des Moines, IA  50393. To get the discounted rate of
$80 per night at the Holiday Inn, you must register for the convention.
Also, by registering for the convention you will help the National
Federation of the Blind of Iowa give a more accurate count to the hotel.

What are the perks for pre-registering for the state convention? The biggest
perk is you save $5 off the cost of each food event you attend and the
registration fee, plus you won't have to wait in a longer line when picking
up your packet. Don't delay and miss out on the savings. , Pre-register and
pay for the convention no later than September 25, 2018. After September 25,
2018 all prices go up by $5.00.

<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-iowa-2018-
anual-convention-tickets-49777166846?aff=utm_source%3Deb_email%26utm_medium%
3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dnew_event_email&utm_term=eventname_text> Register
online here, or copy and paste the below URL in your web browser.

<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-iowa-2018-
anual-convention-tickets-49777166846?aff=utm_source%3Deb_email%26utm_medium%
3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dnew_event_email&utm_term=eventurl_text>
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-iowa-2018-a
nual-convention-tickets-49777166846

Hotel Information

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Des Moines Northwest, 4800 Merle Hay Road,
Urbandale, Iowa 50322.

Hotel room rates this year will be $80.00 plus tax per night for standard
and king-sized rooms.  When reserving your room, please mention the below
information:

Group Name:  NFBI National Fed Blind of Iowa

Group Code:  NFB

Reservations Deadline: September 21, 2018

To Reserve:

Call: 515-278-4755 or 800-HOLIDAY (800-465-329)

Click to:   <http://www.holidayinn.com/desmoinesia>
www.holidayinn.com/desmoinesia  and use the 3-letter code above.

Meetings and events

The Iowa Diabetes Action Network will hold its annual meeting at 12:30 PM to
2:30 PM with registration beginning at 12:00 outside the meeting room.  Our
main speaker will be Dr. Robert Dahlberg, a Des Moines dentist, who will
talk about dental hygiene and your health.  We will also hold our election
of officers and board members.  Registration is $5.

Parents of blind children networking seminar

Calling all parents of blind children. We will be hosting parents of blind
children seminar on Friday the 5th from 12:30-5:00 PM. Topics being
discussed will include adaptive physical activity, activities of daily
living, library services, cane travel, a parent panel, legal rights for
students in k-12,   and much more. This will give parents the opportunity to
share experiences and connect with other families as well as professionals
in the blindness field. We encourage all families to stay for the remainder
of our state convention. Financial assistance is available upon request and
child care will be provided. If you have any questions, please contact Jerad
Nylin at jerad.nfbi at gmail.com or 319-535-3723.

The At Large Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa will
hold its annual meeting at 3:00 p.m., Friday, October 5, 2018. Annual
chapter dues will be collected and they are $5. Registration begins at 2:30
outside the room.

Convention registration will be open from 3:00-6:45 p.m. on Friday, October
5, and will resume Saturday, October 6, at 7:30-8:45 a.m.

Iowa Association of Blind Students annual meeting Friday October 5, 2018 -
12:00 pm-7:00 pm

Calling all students! Do you like swimming, networking, learning, and food?
We sure do! Join the Iowa Association of Blind Students for our annual
student seminar. We will kick it off with a pool party starting at 12:00.
Our business meeting will begin at 3:00, where we will have dynamic speakers
who will help us determine what the future of our movement looks like.
Following the meeting, we will go out for dinner as a group and enjoy an
evening of socializing with new and old friends. We hope you can make it and
we can't wait to meet you! Our dues are $5 and will be taken at the door.

A meet and greet reception will take place from 5:15-6:45 on Friday October
5, 2018.  Cost is $15 if purchased by September 25 2018, and $20 if
purchased after September 25 2018.

The Resolutions Committee will consider resolutions at 7:00 p.m. on Friday
evening. Submit resolutions electronically to tai.tomasi8 at gmail.com by
September 30, 2018. You may also bring resolutions in final Braille and
written form to the committee meeting as long as there is provided an
electronic version.

Saturday morning FREE working breakfast 7:00am- 8:00am

Are you wondering how you can help your local chapter and state affiliate
when it comes to fundraising?   If you can commit to spending an hour per
week, a conference call every quarter, and some fun in the community - we
invite you to register for and attend the complimentary working breakfast.

8:00am - 8:45am join the board of directors for the annual face to face
board meeting. All are welcome to attend this meeting.

9:00am - 12:00pm and 2:00pm - 5:00pm will be our general sessions. You won't
want to miss our National report from Scott LaBarre, the National Federation
of the Blind of Iowa presidential report, BLIND INC presentation, Iowa
Department for the Blind update from director Emily Wharton, National
student report, and much more!

 Saturday evening will be the annual Banquet of the National Federation of
the Blind of Iowa. Scott LaBarre will deliver this year's banquet address,
and our very own Darrel Kirby, 2nd vice president National Federation of the
Blind of Iowa will be the Master of Ceremonies. Pre-registration is $35.00.

The Iowa Association of Blind Students will be hosting hospitality following
the banquet. We hope that you will join us for a fun night of board games
and free ice cream. Can't wait to see you there!

Sunday, October 7, 2018 - 8:00am-8:45am

 Start your Sunday off right with a short morning devotional lead by Katy
Olsen. We will gather together to talk about how our spirituality greatly
affects our work in the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa. All are
welcome!

9:00am will be the annual business session of the National Federation of the
Blind of Iowa. We will have state reports, elections, and other federation
business to discuss. All are encouraged to attend.

Look for more convention information as it becomes available through our
various communications channels.

I look forward to greeting you at this year's National Federation of the
Blind of Iowa state convention!

Sincerely,

Jerad S. Nylin, President

Jerad S. Nylin, President

jerad.nfbi at gmail.com

319-535-3723

 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org

<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823
082570/posts> Like the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa on Facebook

 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Follow us on Twitter @NFB_Iowa

---
https://www.avg.com