[Tall-Corn] Washington Seminar legislative Fact Sheets

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Sun Jan 12 22:14:05 UTC 2020

Good Afternoon Fellow Federationists:

As we ramp up for the 2020 Washington Seminar, below, you'll find links to
the fact sheets and the summaries of each of our legislative priorities. I
have also included critical information as appropriate.

Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) (H.R. 2086/S. 815)
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/legislative-agenda/access-te
chnology-affordability>
The cost of critically needed access technology is out of reach for most
blind Americans. By providing a refundable tax credit for qualifying
purchases, Congress will stimulate individual procurement of this technology
and promote affordability of these tools.

Senator Chuck Grassley is a key stakeholder in getting this legislation
through in the senate as he is chare of the Senate Finance committee where
this bill needs to go through before it hits the Senate floor. He is also a
key ally of the Trump administration, so if it gets through the Senate an to
the White House, it will be largely due to his work. We will be focusing on
him to get this through, but please contact all of our members of Congress
about this important legislation.

Greater Access and Independence through Nonvisual Access Technology (GAIN)
Act (H.R. 3929)
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/legislative-agenda/greater-a
ccess-independence-nonvisual-access-technology>
Advanced digital interfaces create barriers that prevent blind individuals
from independently operating essential devices that enhance quality of life.
Congress must end the digital divide that threatens the independence of
blind Americans by developing minimum accessibility requirements for such
devices.

This is an important piece of legislation to contact all of our members of
Congress on.

Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education (AIM HIGH) Act (H.R.
5312/S. 3095)
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/legislative-agenda/accessibl
e-instructional-materials-higher-education>
Until a market-driven solution for accessible instructional materials is
achieved, blind college students are denied access to critical course
content. The AIM HIGH Act will remove these barriers to equality in the
classroom by creating a set of guidelines that clearly define accessible
instructional materials.

We are thrilled to see Senator Ernst as a cosponsor on the Senate side, but
we need Senator Grassley and all of our Congressional reps on board to make
this one successful and finally a reality!

As you can see we have a lot of work to do, but we all know that collective
action works. Please begin your calls, emails, and letters as soon as
possible. The four of us going to Washington cannot do it alone! Please feel
free to reach out if you have any questions I will send updates as we
progress through our seminar preparations.

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website

<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823
082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.