[Tall-Corn] FW: Legislative Alert: Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act Introduced into House

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Fri Aug 6 01:51:45 UTC 2021

FYI. Another Washington Seminar priority moving forward!

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website
 <https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act Introduced into House

The Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853) was introduced in the United States House of Representatives on Thursday, July 29. The bill was introduced by Representative Jan Schakowsky (D-IL). This is important legislation that calls upon the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to promulgate nonvisual accessibility standards for Class II and Class III medical devices with digital displays. This standard would apply to devices such as glucometers, sleep apnea machines, blood pressure monitors, thermometers, and oximeters. Full access to all features of a device is critical and achievable.

The National Federation of the Blind supports this legislation. Read the full press release and quote from President Mark Riccobono <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22495&qid=5846814> .

Legislative Alert: How to Help Promote

Members of the National Federation of the Blind can help urge support of this act. Your calls and emails to representatives make a difference.

When you email or call your representative you might share something like:

"Hello, I’m [YOUR NAME], and I am a constituent of [REPRESENTATIVE NAME]. I live in [CITY, STATE]. I would like to urge [REPRESENTATIVE NAME] to cosponsor the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853). This legislation authorizes the FDA to establish a minimum nonvisual access standard for Class II and Class III medical devices with a digital interface so that blind people can operate them safely and independently.

Thanks."

When you email your representative, please copy Stephanie Flynt at sflynt at nfb.org <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22483&qid=5846814>

Finding Representative Contacts

It is best to email the relevant staff person in your representative's office. We have included the list of House contacts <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22484&qid=5846814>  in this email. If you need help finding the contact for your member of Congress, please email Jesa Medders at jmedders at nfb.org <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22485&qid=5846814>  and she will find the appropriate staff member for you to email.

You can contact your representatives by calling the Capitol Switchboard and asking for the office in question. The number is 202-224-3121.

About Our Advocacy Work

The National Federation of the Blind is continuously working toward securing full integration, equality, independence, acceptance, and respect for all blind Americans. Our advocacy work has centered on issues related to education, employment, transportation, voting, and civil rights. Learn more about advocacy <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22486&qid=5846814> .

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22487&qid=5846814>

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22488&qid=5846814>

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22489&qid=5846814>

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22490&qid=5846814>

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22491&qid=5846814>

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22492&qid=5846814>

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230 | 410-659-9314

200 East Wells St.
Baltimore, 21230
United States

..