[Tall-Corn] A Sad Day for our Federation Family

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 00:29:59 UTC 2021

Today we lost a giant Federationist. Michael Barber left for a better place early this morning, and all of the suffering, which he bore so gracefully is over. But Michael was a fighter. Often he felt very poorly, yet he was working for the rights of blind people everywhere and especially here in Iowa. He was not afraid to stand up for our rights, sometimes at his own risk. He served as the NFBI President from 2006-2014. I think he would have served longer if his health could have permitted it. He was a member of the Library Consumer Advisory Committee as well as  of Friends of the Iowa Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped. He had just ended his term of chair of  the LCAC and was still serving as chair of the Friends.
Michael was instrumental in starting a Diabetes Action Division here, but he was unable to continue it, Diabetes issues were important to him always.
Michael worked hard with Luanne Blake, the ICUB group here, Disability Rights Iowa, and the national organizations of ACB and NFB to try to improve accessible voting for the blind, and he fought this battle up until his death.
I first knew him when I was in my senior year at the Iowa Braille and SightSaving School, I was there just one year. Over the past year or so I talked with him often. We didn’t always agree on things, and we were able to have some snarky, yet light and fairly humorous exchanges. Today I have thought so much about things I might like to say to him, and now he won’t be available by phone, text or E-mail.
Michael is a presence who will be deeply missed over the coming days, months, and years ahead. Job well done, dear Michael.
Cindy

Cindy Lou
Sent from my iPad