[Tall-Corn] NFBI Legislative Day January 16, 2024

iceje89 at gmail.com iceje89 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 02:58:28 UTC 2023

I'll be at the rescheduled Zoom.

Jonathan

From: Tall-Corn <tall-corn-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Bob Ray via
Tall-Corn
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2023 1:10 PM
To: 'NFB of Iowa Internet Mailing List' <tall-corn at nfbnet.org>
Cc: bray at nfbi.org
Subject: [Tall-Corn] NFBI Legislative Day January 16, 2024

Greetings, The time is coming soon and we need who know is planning to be
here. The Iowa D. D. Council has given us a grant to help people with
transportation expenses to come the event. Reserve your spot to learn more
about the legislative process and get to know your State Representative and
Senator. The grant covers such things as transportation expenses from
wherever you are in Iowa to Des Moines and back home. To be eligible for
these payments you will need to provide a receipt for the transportation and
Mary needs to have your name by the 6th of January. It would be excellent
use of these funds if we could get a vehicle coming from each of our
chapters, Siouxland, Old Cap and Southeast. Please get your reservations in.
If you have further questions feel free to contact either of us so we can
answer your questions.

There will be a ZOOM meeting held on Saturday January 6 at 10:00 a.m. for
people to ask questions and for us to give you the current information on
where our bills stand. That ZOOM meeting had originally planned for the 4th
but was moved to the 6th to allow more people to attend.

Below is the schedule for the day. This is a real opportunity for us.

Iowa DD Council, Capitol Advocacy Day, January 16th, 2024

"Preparation, Participation, Power" - the DD Council's slogan

          Schedule for the Day

9:30 am - 11:30 am - Advocacy Training at the DD Council's office at 700 2nd
Ave., Des Moines; we can enter at the door with the ramp and I believe it
faces Park.

The purposes of the training are two:  to help us become comfortable with
going to the Capitol and to assist us in developing and clarifying our
messages to our legislators.  It will follow the Advocacy Toolkit and
Braille copies will be provided to us.

11:30 am - 12:30 pm - Lunch provided by the DD Council

We'll also prepare to move from the DD Council's office to the State
Capitol.  We will have transportation provided.

At 12:30, we'll travel to the Capitol.

1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Meet with Legislators per appointments previously made
for times between 1:00 pm - 4:00.

Activities can include:

Watching a floor debate,

Attending a committee meeting,

Meeting with other state agencies, or

Meet with the governor, which must be scheduled prior to the visit.

The DD Council will assist with taking pictures during the day and we'll
present a written summary when we conclude the day.

The DD Council has a mileage reimbursement form we'll submit with the
receipts for transportation.

Let's make the most of this opportunity and have a great day!

Bob Ray, Legislative Chair, NFB of IOWA

Email: bray at nfbi.org <mailto:bray at nfbi.org>

Phone. 515 334-7231

Mary L. McGee