[Tall-Corn] Why should we go to the trouble?

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 14:51:59 UTC 2023

As I have reflected on the E-mail which I forwarded from Director Wharton, I have reflected on why we should bother. First of all, things have not always been as good as they are now. As blind individuals, we should have a say in the agency that gives us life and hope. We know what we need and want, and we must never go back to the way things were before. There are so many success stories that have benefited from the Iowa Department for the Blind. The possible changes would make the agency a political football, our futures subject to the whims of the political party in office. They make their promises, but of course we all know what that means. If we have blind individuals participating in the work of the agency, we can express directly to those working there what the problem is and even make suggestions.
We won’t all be able o go to the Capitol, but we can all write or make phone calls. We can learn what we are up against.
When you consider if you want to participate in the efforts to secure the Iowa Department for the Bllind, consider those you know who have gone before and some you don’t know who fought relentlessly for the Department:
Jim Omvig, Sandi Ryan, Michael Barber, Joe Van Lent, Nyla Wisecup, and of course the founder Dr. Kenneth Jernigan. There are so many more.
Every little bit we can do shows we care; every little bit we do increases our chances of success. Let’s join together to make the changes in that bill that we need by just showing up, just being heard when possible, and just being ready to do more as the demand comes.

Cindy Lou
Sent from my iPad