[Tall-Corn] *****Please read***** Important list reminders

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Wed Oct 11 01:45:57 UTC 2023

Good Evening Federation Family:

Earlier today, there was a post that came out to this listserv regarding
Iowa's Medicaid providers and Covid-19  and other vaccine coverage. The
substance of the message was good in that it informed blind Iowans of one
provider's handling of coverage for vaccines and some things to watch out
for. I must remind everyone of a few list guidelines that need to be
followed when posting to NFB lists in general.

*	This list, like most NFB lists, are searchable. This means that, if
you post, it will be out there and not contained in a vacuum. This is why it
is important that if you reply to a message intended for only one person,
and not the list as a whole, you'll want to do that as a new message, or at
least put that person's address in the "to" line instead of the listserv.
*	We in the National Federation of the Blind are proud of our work
across all segments of the political spectrum. To that end, it is important
to cultivate relationships with both major political parties that exist
today and those that may exist in the future to get our legislative
priorities accomplished. We maintain a stance of political neutrality on
issues except where we need to make a stand as an organization. As such, if
a stand is to be taken, it must be done so on an organizational level, and
not through unofficial channels. A prime example of this is our work on
behalf of the Iowa Department for the Blind during the last legislative
session. We formed our position, organized, and made our voices heard on an
organizational level, and not just as individuals. Any individual efforts
were ultimately done on behalf of the organization.
*	Individual opinions on issues, parties, candidates, etc. are fine to
hold privately, but I challenge all of us to answer one question. Do my
feelings on a candidate, issue, etc. add value to the mission of the
National Federation of the Blind of Iowa? If not, then such opinions should
not appear on a listserv. After all, we wouldn't want individual biases to
negatively influence the work we're all doing to better the lives of the
blind people of Iowa.
*	Diversity of opinions is one of the things that sets the National
Federation of the Blind and its chapters, affiliates, groups, and divisions
apart from other organizations. We must do whatever we can to respect the
views of everyone even if we do not agree with such views. As we've said at
conventions at the state and national level in the past, just because we may
not agree with a particular speaker or issue, we still must display an
attitude of respect. The same goes for politics. We've done a pretty good
job up to this point of keeping politics off of our list discussions. Unless
an issue calls for it, and you'll know if it's warranted, please refrain
from political commentary in list postings.
*	The last thing I'll say on this topic is this. If you have any
questions as to whether you can or should post something to the listservs,
feel free, especially on Tall Corn to reach out to Bob Ray, list moderator,
or you can also come to me directly and I'll be happy to discuss it further.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions. In the meantime, let's get
back to building the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa!

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website

<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823
082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.