[Tall-Corn] FW: first annual Iowa Disability Film Festival

April Enderton alenderton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 21:37:55 UTC 2024

Hi All,

Please see info below about the first annual Iowa Disability Film Festival
being held in Iowa City next Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  I apologize
for the very late notice, but I had to do a fair amount of advocacy and
education to include audio description.  And a big thanks to Maryfrances
Evans for taking the big suitcase to Iowa City for next Wednesday's film.
Thursday's film includes the built-in audio description track.

  Mark your calendars for the first annual Iowa Disability Film Festival!!
FilmScene, in partnership with ReelAbilities and University of Iowa
Libraries, Therapeutic Recreation, Health and Human Physiology, Center for
Excellence in Developmental Disabilities, and Council on Disability
Awareness, is proud to present the first annual Iowa Disability Film
Festival from March 20-22.
** All films will be shown at FilmScene at the Chauncey, 404 East College
Street, Iowa City, will begin at 6:30, and will include a post- panel
discussion and a reception following the films.**

This festival showcases award-winning films by and about people with
disabilities with engaging programs that bring together communities to
explore, discuss, embrace, and celebrate the diversity of our shared human
experience. For more information about the films and to reserve tickets (all
tickets are pay what you can), see below:

March 20: Full Circle follows Trevor on a path towards post-traumatic growth
in parallel with Barry, 50 years later. Their stories mirror each other,
connected through injuries in the CO backcountry, rehab at Craig Hospital
and as adaptive athletes. For more information about the film or to purchase
tickets, visit:
https://tickets.icfilmscene.org/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=853649~4635
cd47-f165-4de0-b43c-56acafd02482
<https://tickets.icfilmscene.org/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=853649~463
5cd47-f165-4de0-b43c-56acafd02482&> &

March 21: Being Michelle is an award-winning documentary film about a deaf
woman with autism who survived incarceration and abuse and now uses her
artwork to depict the trauma she survived and heal from her past.
For more information or to purchase tickets, visit:
https://tickets.icfilmscene.org/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=853660~4635
cd47-f165-4de0-b43c-56acafd02482
<https://tickets.icfilmscene.org/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=853660~463
5cd47-f165-4de0-b43c-56acafd02482&epguid=9ed2fbfc-ae97-401e-8092-6a0923d2fc4
7&> &epguid=9ed2fbfc-ae97-401e-8092-6a0923d2fc47&

March 22: A Friend Indeed: The Bill Sackter Story is the  true story of Bill
Sackter's emergence from lifelong institutionalization to become an
international hero for people with disabilities.
For more information or to purchase tickets, visit:
https://tickets.icfilmscene.org/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=853664~4635
cd47-f165-4de0-b43c-56acafd02482
<https://tickets.icfilmscene.org/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=853664~463
5cd47-f165-4de0-b43c-56acafd02482&epguid=9ed2fbfc-ae97-401e-8092-6a0923d2fc4
7&> &epguid=9ed2fbfc-ae97-401e-8092-6a0923d2fc47&

Please note that to purchase tickets, you need to click on the link to 6:30
PM.  There is no "buy tickets" link.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Hope to see many of you at
FilmScene.

Mike