[Tall-Corn] Voting In Iowa

bray at nfbi.org bray at nfbi.org
Sat Oct 26 20:15:09 UTC 2024

We should remind people about a few things now that we are coming
into the voting season here in Iowa.

First, nothing has changed since the last time that we voted
except at we were told at State Convention a few more counties
have changed to a different accessible voting machine.  The most
widely used machines of a few years ago are no longer being
supported. There are only three counties using the Automark system
that many of us really liked. Many others are using one of three
other systems that all have strong points and weak ones.

Here are some general comments for you to think about since we
have heard from people who did early voting and experienced the
same problems they did in the past.

The system that Polk County and several other counties uses is
probably the most widely used one at this point. It doesn't have
too many problems but as we mentioned at convention and at least
one person has experienced in early voting the screen may be
durned off while you are casting your ballot. There is a switch
right on the screen, I don't know exactly where but it is on the
front of the monitor as I recall to do this. That is thee to be
used that it is available. The machines does have instructions
that may play before you cast your vote. This gives you the
opportunity the procedures to handle normal operation.

Remember, if problems arise while you are voting and you need help
ask for it. If the help you receive doesn't meet your expectations
you need to report this to your County Auditor and  to the voter
hotline at the Secretary Of State's Office on election day itself.
They will both need to know when and where the problem occurred.
It is helpful if you let one of us from our Legislative Committee
know too since we work with the hotlines both at the state level
and the national level.

Problems may be solved if we have record of them and they are
documented. Yes, there will always be some problems because we are
dealing with people and some things are going to happen that are
not going to be  possible to plan in advance.

There has not been as much opportunity this year for early voting
because of the changes in the law last year. Election day itself
is going to be an exciting experience. Yes, each county has had
more training for pol workers than they have in the past but
remember that most of the people that you deal with on election
Day volunteers and some are going to understand all of the ins and
outs of what they are doing better than others. That means that
the more you know going into the polling place the less likely you
are to have problems. Hopefully you won't have too many things
that are unexpected.

Bob Ray, NFBI

Legislative Committee Chair