[Tn-talk] Fw: Transportation Bill Update

Joe Shaw jrs3147 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 22 21:14:17 UTC 2009

Whew!
Good job people!
JS
----- Original Message -----
From: Sean Whalen
To: 'Terry Smith'
Cc: 'Melanie Brunson' ; 'Allen Tharp' ; 'Eugene Breaud' ; 'Jones John' ; rkvend at aol.com ; 'AB Swanson' ; 'Don Hudson' ; 'Robert Humphreys' ; 'Charles Glazer' ; 'Donald Johnson' ; 'Ernie Sledge' ; 'Michael Lee' ; 'Blackstone Joe' ; 'Kevan Worley' ; 'Shelly Martin' ; 'Harry Eberle' ; 'Jody Shaw' ; 'Robert Ott' ; 'Oxley Ron' ; 'Hopkins Raymond' ; 'Desantis Vito' ; 'Jim Ed Rice' ; 'Bill Spencer' ; 'Allen Harris' ; 'Roland Marshall' ; 'Harvey Johnson' ; 'Skipp Styron' ; 'Virgil Stinnett' ; 'kim m venable' ; 'Patrick Cannon' ; 'Sue Luzenski' ; 'Nick Gacos' ; 'J McCarthy' ; 'John Pare, Jr.' ; 'Sean Whalen' ; 'Anna DeSantis' ; 'Mark Harris' ; cantuserv at sbcglogal.net ; 'fredric schroeder' ; 'Mike Barclay' ; 'Peter Nolan' ; 'Arch Kielly' ; 'Dennis Donnelly' ; kwh7047661 at aol.com ; rsvasagebrush at juno.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:46 PM
Subject: Transportation Bill Update

Dear BEA members:

I am writing with an update on the House transportation funding bill.  As of this afternoon, it looks like there will be NO amendment offered dealing with rest stop privatization when the appropriations bill comes to the floor for debate and a vote tomorrow.

This is certainly good news.  However, it is likely that we will have to have this fight again when the authorizing bills come up in the fall in both the House and the Senate.  It is also possible that the same issue will come up in the Senate version of the funding bill, which will also be debated in the fall.

Many thanks to all of you for making calls and sending emails and faxes to your Representatives. Your outreach has raised this as an issue important to blind entrepreneurs, and laid the groundwork for future votes that we know are soon to follow.  We sincerely appreciate the time and energy you spend reaching out to your elected officials on behalf of Randolph-Sheppard vendors everywhere, and will call on you to do it again in the near future as additional votes on commercialization arise.

All the best,

Sean Whalen