[Tn-talk] Introduction

James Brown jbrown321 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 21 00:21:28 UTC 2011

        Hello Everyone,

My name is James Brown, and I am new to this list and would love to share a short story and exhortation about convention this year. .

Several years ago, A lot of the scholarship alumni went to the national center in Baltimore. While there, quite a few of the students addressed there concerns with the NFB's Social Security Policy. You know, how can we claim we are equal, but still demand special treatment?  The same reasoning that is still very popular with the feminist movement today. Well, Dr. Maurer said he didn't agree, and how it was contrary to policy, but he told us how we could change the policy if we so wished. After going through the detailed resolution process with us, he said even though he didn't agree with Sean, now president of NABS, and his group of young scholars, he was happy and excited about them having views and wanting to act upon those views.  That made me very proud back then, and I had almost forgotten about it until this year's convention.

Back a couple of weeks ago In Orlando,  Dr.  Maurer made me proud again by telling this story, not just once, but twice.  However, this time the story had a different conclusion.  Sean and his scholars had put forth a resolution to change the NFB's Social Security Policy, and it was set to go before the resolutions committee.  Now I have to tell you that like most NFB members, I don't yet think society is in the place where I can agree with Sean's social security philosophy, and fortunately, it was not passed through the resolutions committee, but one has to love the process, and Dr. Maurer is still as committed and enthusiastic as ever.

I want to make a challenge to the friends and members of NFB of Tennessee.  If maybe the process has gotten a little stale for you, remember that you can make a difference.  Maybe there's an idea that you have had for a long time, but it just wasn't the right place or the right moment.  I suspect in 20 years, our society may have advanced to the place where Sean's ideas will be dead on and pass the resolution process where it will be the official policy of the NFB.  I also have a premonition that there are good ideas collecting dust and sitting up in the top of our closets where it is hard to reach.  It is their time to come out and see the world.  You never know; It just might be the right time and the right place.

  Sincerely,
James Brown

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where

there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson