[Trainer-talk] Volume Control

Keith Christian keithchristian at roadrunner.com
Sat Aug 8 23:02:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

I use a little command line application called Wizmo to control the
volume control and other things.  It is handy for computers that I want
to turn up and down the volume easily because it is not simple for some
reason.

I make a simple batch file or a shortcut that points to the wizmo.exe
file on the computer.  Here are a few examples of what I use Wizmo for.
BTW, it does a lot more than just turn up and down the volume.

Wizmo.exe volume=100
This turns the volume up 100%

Wizmo.exe volume=20
this adjusts the volume to 20%

You can use any number from 0 to 100.  Very handy.

Wizmo.exe shutdown
Shuts down the computer.  If you put an ! At the end, it will force a
shut down if the computer is locked up.

Wizmo.exe reboot
Reboots the system.

Since I use batch files or short cuts on the desktop, it is simple to
assign hotkey keystrokes to each of these commands.  It makes it simple
to turn up and down the volume, shut down the computer or reboot it with
a single keystroke.  Some of the key strokes I use that works well for
me are: alt-control 1 for volume control to 100%, alt control 2 for the
next level of volume control, and alt control 3 if I need three volume
levels.  I like alt control s for shutdown  and alt control r for
reboot.

At the end of the day at work, I simply walk past a row of computers
pressing alt control s and it is done.  The command line switches are
quite powerful.  You can include things like volume control in different
modes.  For example, you can have the screen saver pop on  and increase
the volume to hear any activity on your system.  Then when popping out
of the screen saver, the volume is adjusted back down.

If you are interested, the application and information about wizmo can
be found at:

http://www.grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm

Keith