[Trainer-talk] cost of braille displays

Josh jkenn337 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 01:30:24 UTC 2009

Hi,

So far the APH refreshabraille annd perkins seika display are the most cheapest/inexpensive displays. But still $1695 is out of reach for people on SSI. I think just as serotek has made the accessibility is a right or  air foundation and lowered the cost of screen readers, so should the cost of braille displays be lowered.
so I propose the following.
make 6, and 12 cell models of refreshabraille.
also make 6, 12, and 18 cell models of seika braille display.
A 6 cell seika woould cost $400 or so. a 12 cell seika, $800 or so. If one buys a 6-cell seika you could upgrade or buy more cells at a reduced price. It's time, I think, that braille displays coost a under $1000, rather than more than $2000 or so for a braille display.

Josh

Join me on klango at www.klango.net visit and sign my petition at: http://www.petitiononline.com/coda1234/petition.html
and visit my blog at: http://jkenn337.klangoblog.net follow me on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/jkenn337