[Trainer-talk] Dell netbook

Peter Zaremba peter_zaremba at comcast.net
Wed Feb 25 21:17:10 UTC 2009

I have played with the  Dell Inspiron Mini 9.  There are no function keys.
The number row keys double as function keys when the FN key is pressed.
This makes keystrokes like Jaws Key + F7 a bit tricky because you must also
hold down the FN key.

I did like the small size of the Dell and the build quality was good.  The
keys are small, but useable.  You will notice  the size difference from a
traditional laptop keyboard.  It felt like a quality device and the solid
state hard drive makes it pretty durable.  I think the Dell battery is only
3 or 4 cell though.

In contrast, the MSI can be ordered with a 6 cell battery.

If you are thinking of replacing a traditional laptop with a netbook, then
based on reviews, I would strongly consider the MSI Wind.  I haven't seen
the Wind in person, but the Blind Access Journal gave it strong praise for
accessibility.

hth,
Peter