[Trainer-talk] Fwd: Updated JAWS scripts for Thunderbird, Firefox, and Internet Explorer

David Goldfield disciple1211 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 11 09:26:55 UTC 2010

I am really thrilled that these scripts exist.  I have not only switched
from IE to Firefox but I have also begun using Thunderbird and find it
to be a wonderful email client.  This week I've also begun playing with
Seamonkey, which uses Mozilla code and contains a Firefox-style browser,
email client, Web editor and chat client in one program.  I haven't used
the chat client and have little interest in doing so, but the browser
and email clients work very well with JAWS and NVDA.  Warning:
Window-eyes, even version 7.2, is having some issues with Seamonkey and
I've allerted GW Micro to this issue.  There are also portable versions
of all of these programs which can be easily ran from a USB drive.  It
was wonderful to be able to go to someone else's computer and, from one
USB thumb drive, run my NVDA screen reader, check email and go on the
Web with my personalized settings.  If anyone is interested in trying
out Seamonkey, which is a continuation of the older Mozilla suite, you
can get it from
www.seamonkey-project.org

All quick navigation keys should work as in IE and Firefox.  Preferences
are found in the Eidt menu, not in the Tools menu where you'd normally
look.  Seamonkey's preferences dialogs are very different from Firefox
but it will make sense; NVDA has some difficulty in reading some of
these treeview titles.  One annoying thing is that control N does not
bring up a new message in the email client as it does in nearly every
other email client, you use control M for new message; control N brings
up a new browser window.  I think I'm gonna write to the Seamonkey folks
and beg them to have ctrl-N for new message when in the email client.

Sorry to ramble, but I am really excited about these Internet Exploder
alternatives.

David