[Trainer-talk] Gearing Up for Open Developer Day at the FCC

Jamal Mazrui empower at smart.net
Fri Nov 5 01:02:17 UTC 2010

 From the web page

http://reboot.fcc.gov/blog?entryId=951121

Gearing Up for Open Developer Day

November 4th, 2010 by Greg Elin - Chief Data Officer

This coming Monday the commission will play host to a one-of-a-kind
event in federal government. Were calling on coders, programmers and
developers of all stripes to join us at FCC headquarters for our
first ever Open Developer Day. This will be a rare opportunity for
developers in the public and private sectors to join forces. Out of
this gathering will come innovations, collaborations, and continued
open government partnership.

Central to Mondays event will be three tracks weaving their way
through the day. Equipped with our laptops and the fellowship of
sharp friends well be working through accessibility solutions and
open APIs; and well host a Free Hack, an open-ended developer
free-for-all. FCC tech minds and leadership will open the event,
situating our Developer Day within the larger open government movement.

Programmers from the Yahoo! Developer Network
(http://developer.yahoo.com) will be on hand to demo their tools and
provide guidance. They will give an overview of YQL, their query
language which allows developers to access and shape data across the
Internet through one simple language, eliminating the need to learn
how to call different APIs. We will also see a demonstration of their
YUI Library, a set of utilities and controls  for building richly
interactive web applications.

An undertone, pervading a significant strand of the discussion, will
be the 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act. In
signing the act last month, President Obama said the act will make it
easier for people who are deaf, blind or live with a visual
impairment to do what many of us take for granted  It sets new
standards so that Americans with disabilities can take advantage of
the technology our economy depends on.

The full day event will start at 9:00am and take place in Washington,
DC at FCC headquarters (445 12th St., SW, Washington, DC 20554). All
developers are welcome free of charge. Bring a laptop and RSVP soon
(mikelle.morra [at] fcc [dot] gov?subject=rsvp%20for%20open%20developer%20day).

If youre not in the DC area and are unable to make it down here, we
will be live streaming portions of the day (http://fcc.gov/live). You
can also join the discussion on Twitter using the hashtag #fccdevday.
To email questions write to livequestions [at] fcc [dot] gov. You can
participate by visiting Accessible Event
(http://www.accessibleevent.com), and entering the event code
005202376. For any TTY issues please contact Pam Gregory (pam.gregory
[at] fcc [dot] gov).

Start getting excited for Monday. Well see you there.