[Trainer-talk] Requesting recommendations for Assistive Technology class outlines or curriculums

Fred Hemmer fjhemmer at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 17:25:00 UTC 2011

Hi Tony,
I'll come at this from a different way.  I just graduated from BLIND Inc so
training methods are still fresh. I lost my site early in life (58) to MD.
Prior to that I was a corporate trainer.

I had years of computer experience in many programs. I thought I would
breeze through the computer training. Little did I know it would be the most
difficult.

I suggest with experienced users start with basic JAWS training. Focus on
how to easily move around the screen. Remember these students are mouse
users and the quicker the can learn to use JAWS commands the better. Know
your student, if they are technical and read every how-to-use manuals start
with the manuals as homework. In class remember they do not have a visual
result for a keystroke any longer.

First teach how to move around without the mouse and the student has to
build trust that the computer is responding correctly.  I think that most
experienced PC users never learned windows keystroke commands they mused for
everything.  Use whatever program they are most comfortable using. If they
do not have a preference use internet explorer.  Stress listening to what
JAWS calls links, headers, edit boxes, forms mode, etc.  mouse users simply
clicked in a edit box and typed.  Now you have to be informs mode to enter
the information.

For students with little or no experience start with the most common uses.
Email and internet are good places to start.  They are the most common use
of computers non-experienced people think of.  Computers are like Braille,
practice, practice, practice.

Best of luck in your new position,
Fred