[Trainer-talk] Trainer-talk Digest, Vol 76, Issue 10

Blaine Clark blaineclrk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 10:43:48 UTC 2011

Subject: [Trainer-talk] Re : at training for a 5 year old

Depending on what you want to present to a five year old, you may also
want to take a look at a Linux build called Vinux. It's specially
scripted for the visually impaired. Vinux is based on Ubuntu which has
another spin-off called EdUbuntu which is aimed at classroom use with
many packages of games and educational programs for pre K through and
beyond 12. Since Ubuntu maintains the program repositories for all of
it's derivatives, you can install any of the EdUbuntu packages into
Vinux. Vinux has several screen readers and screen magnifiers. The best
part is it's free. I've been collecting used computers in my area and
installing Vinux then mailing the towers and laptops free using the Free
Matter for the Blind program of the USPS. The only cost on my end is
time and packaging for shipping. I've sent such units to several places
in Pennsylvania. There are online tutorials and youtube has several
videos on Vinux. The Distro Watch site can be used to learn about most
of the builds of Linux. It's
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=vinux

You'll find out that Linux is not the hard to use OS that it has been
known as for years. Linux has moved into the user friendly mode and
Ubuntu is one of the most Microsoft like builds today.

Vinux has many language packages and is used in India, Africa, South
America and elsewhere. It began in England at the Royal National
Institute for the Blind. One of the lecturers, Tony Sales began work on
it over four years ago and now there are several skilled developers. I'm
a volunteer promoter and beta version tester as well as a volunteer
distributor. I gave up on Microsoft's updates constantly messing up my
computer two years ago. I haven't used MS in two years with only one
regret; that I didn't change earlier.

Vinux is compatible with most Braille displays and other assistive
hardware peripherals. It's no more difficult to learn than Microsoft.
Everything about it is free. The screen readers, browsers, email
programs, the several office suites, media players, games and much more.

Blaine