[Trainer-talk] Ninite.com

David Goldfield disciple1211 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 1 12:08:55 UTC 2011

I will admit that I may be the only one on this list who didn't know
about this Web site until recently.  However, in case I'm not the only
one I wanted to share this as it's truly amazing and I really, really
wish someone had told me about this ages ago.
Ninite.com is a Web site which allows you to quickly download and
silently install a variety of free software which will be familiar to
most of you: Java, Flash Player (both the IE and non-IE version),
Defragler, CCleaner, Firefox, etc.  The Web site presents very
accessible check boxes which will allow you to pick the software that
you want to install.  When you're done checking off what you want go to
the "get installer" button and press enter.  Your browser will download
a tiny executable file, clearly named, such as Ninite java flash firefox
installer.exe.  Run this file and the programs you chose will quickly
download and will silently install.  You can place this custom installer
on a thumb drive and use it at any time, even if you already have the
software and just want to update it quickly.  I realize that the
downside of this type of installation is that you don't have control
over which options are selected but it's especially nice if you're
working on a client's machine and want to ensure that the Java and Flash
players are up-to-date.  Instead of opening the browser, going to the
appropriate page, finding the download link and then doing the install
this will happen within less than a minute.  If you regularly install
software on users' machines this service will save you lots of time.

www.ninite.com

David