[Trainer-talk] Please explain

Jim Portillo portillo.jim at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 16:48:51 UTC 2012

Howdy!

I still have one thing that I don't quite understand about Dropbox.  I've
been using it since last night fairly effectively, but something still isn't
quite known to me.

First, I found out that my friend's email links didn't work because I guess
if he wants to share files with me, he needs to either share a folder or put
them in his public folder and then get the links.

However, I was told that if someone had a folder and shared it with me, I
could let Dropbox know to add it to my dropbox group of folders.  Then, if
he added files to it, I'd also get them, or if I added files to it, he'd
also get them.

So, I had my friend Bill share a folder with me, and he sent me the link.  I
added it to my Dropbox folder and got the files.  Later on, I'd asked him
some questions, and he added more files to his folder.  I didn't get those
files and had to read his new folder, as he added about five more files.
So, is this sharing not automatic, or can we do something to synch them up?
Or, did I do the process wrong?

When I readded his folder, it gave it a different name.  So, what I did was
to delete the first folder I'd gotten and rename this second one to the
first name.

Will I always have to first go to the folder he created for us on the web,
get the files, and bring them back, or can the file sharing happen
automatically?

Thanks for more help!

Jim