[Trainer-talk] Fwd: [Electronics-talk] Which Android for full accessibility (fwd)

Nimer M. Jaber, IC³ nimerjaber1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 18:45:58 UTC 2012

Hello,

Out of all of those devices, I would recommend the Galaxy Y as it
seems to be the most updated one running ICS fi not now, then soon. I
can't determine what version of Android it is running. Partially
though, the decision will be up to her to determine which device she
is most comfortable with, whether or not she wants a large or small
screen, whether or not she wants a keyboard, and price point as well.
I will tell your friend this: Go with the phone that has the lastest
version of Android. The later the release of Android is, the better
the accessibility will be, and most often the better the phone is.
Stay away from HTC if you can avoid it because of their non-accessible
interface, although if you get one you can get replacement
applications and home screens to get around all of that.

As for starting a screen reader, this will largely depend on the
version of Android as it's different or in some cases impossible. In
all versions of Android, this must be done from the set-up screen
nonvisually, otherwise whoever helps her will have to go under
accessibility, check accessibility, talkback and in some instances
explore by touch. This will make her device usable. She can always get
other voices if she doesn't like the default voice. I would highly
recommend that she looks at a phone such as the Galaxy Nexus as it
will receive most frequent updates, it is running the latest Android
operating system, and it does not have an inaccessible user interface.

Depending on the version of Android, I would not recommend Mobile
Accessibility at all due to its buggyness and due to the fact that it
will provide her with no enhancements beyond what talkback provides
other than braille suport. If she gets aphone with Android 4.0 or
above, Mobile Accessibility is not reqired and moreover, it is not
recommended. If she gets a phone with a version lower than 4.0, then
the choice is up to her, although I would say that if she learns to
use the device without Mobile Accessibility, she will be fine and will
not have to download that. Many cariers offer Mobile Accessibility in
some variant or another, so I wouldhave her check into that. As for
Spiel, Talkback works fine, but Spiel is an alternative that she can
explore. Oh, and one more thing: If she gets a phone with anything
less than Android 4.0, a keyboard, DPad, or joystick control is very,
very highly recommended as without it she will be stuck performing
many tasks.

Please direct this individual to the eyes-free google groups list
where she can ask anyquestions and many users will assist her. You can
direct her to androidaccess.net for app reviews that are, for the most
part, kept updated, and you can direct her to www.thatandroidshow.com
for a podcast all about Android, and she will find all casts archived
as well as show notes from each cast. You can also provide her with my
contact information so that she may contact me and I would be able to
assist her further, especially if she does not feel comfortable
finding this information on her own.

Thanks, and I hope this was somewhat helpful.

--
Cordially,

Nimer Jaber

Please take the time to read this signature completely as it contains
some information about the email you have just read and all
attachments contained within as well as some valuable resources and
methods for contacting me if you have any questions or wish to talk.

by anyone other than the intended recipient may result in civil or
criminal action. I have checked this email and all corresponding
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/
Vinux testing and documentation coordinator
To get more information about a free and accessible operating system,
please click here:
http://www.vinuxproject.org

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

Check out my blog related to technology by clicking here:
http://nimertech.blogspot.com

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (720)
(251-4530) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!