[Trainer-talk] training client in office and email. suggestions?

David Goldfield disciple1211 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 26 19:28:39 UTC 2012

Brett,
You asked about whether you should try and train your student on
Outlook.  I think this partially depends on where the student is
planning to use the program.  If the student is doing all of his/her
work at home then Outlook may be overkill unless the student wants to
use the calendar features, which will work nicely with both JAWS and
Window-eyes.  For Windows 7 I think that Windows Live Mail, while it
does use the ribbon, isn't a bad email program for home use and hotkeys
will allow the user to perform most commonly used functions just as
Outlook Express did in Windows XP.
Also, you can install older versions of Office with the classic menu bar
on Windows 7.  At work we have some Win7 machines with Office 2003 and
there are no issues.  I personally prefer LibreOffice for most
work-related word processing but I'm not sure I'd recommend that to
users of JAWS and Window-eyes and these screen readers do work quite
well with Word.
David