[Trainer-talk] double vision software

Beth Koenig bethko at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 08:06:08 UTC 2012

Ok, this is an interesting one. What we do for clients that can "see" but
have problems with text is we use NVDA and a computer mouse. I actually
have a totally blind client that uses the mouse for nearly everything on
the computer, but that's a different story. I have used this
with dyslexics and had pretty good success. You should modify the cursor to
be easy to find. With clients that have reading trouble large text tends to
make issues worse not better. It sounds like your client has
learning disabilities, any idea if these were there before the accident?
Sometimes these can develop as a result of brain trauma. If that is the
case then cognitive therapy is needed. If she had them her whole life then
the double vision is most likely effecting some of the
coping mechanisms she developed. Unforchantly, either way the client will
have to learn to use the software, it may take a long time. I have a
feeling this is not going to be one of those program it and set the client
free on it kind of things.
Thanks,
Beth Koenig
bethko at gmail.com
(714) 699-DEAF (3323)
Director of Deaf Blind Services
Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center
1525 Durant Street 303
Santa Ana, CA 92706
http://www.deafadvocacy.org
Health, safety, and productivity are the cornerstones of independence. At
the Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center we provide the training and services
necessary for the deaf and disabled to achieve equality and independence in
all areas of life.