[Trainer-talk] JAWS, Bookshare, and Web reader

David Goldfield disciple1211 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 2 23:22:45 UTC 2013

Jim,
Bear in mind that I've not used a Brailliant display.  However, as you
guessed, JAWS should display the book in Grade 2 Braille within Web
reader if the Grade 2 translation is enabled in the JAWS Braille settings.
I've succesfully used the Web reader with NVDA and can offer the
following observations.
First, Web Reader will work with Internet Explorer 9, not 8 and, from
the best that I can tell, not with version 10, either.  If this is a
Windows XP machine this means that you're out of luck with IE as version
9 won't work on XP.  I've used it with Firefox, which is my browser of
choice.  Whether you use IE or Firefox it is recommended that
third-party cookies be enabled; otherwise the Web reader won't work
properly and you may get messages indicating that you're not logged onto
Bookshare, even if you know that you are.  I personally find it
intrusive to enable all third-party cookies but I found a workaround.  I
went into Firefox's cookie manager and made sure that I allowed cookies
from salesforce.com and this seemed to have fixed the problem.  Once I
did this the Web reader worked. I've not tried it on Google Chrome but,
if you want to use that browser, you will be prompted to install a
plug-in and you need to do this for Chrome to work with Web Reader.
JAWS, at least later versions of it, does seem to work with Chrome
fairly well.

I hope this info helps.