[Trainer-talk] Deaf Blind IPad Access

Laine Amoureux laine.amoureux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 18:20:08 UTC 2013

I know there is something out there, and I'm just not finding it, I'm
sure of it!
I have a client with a cochlear implant, who requires text to speech,
does not know Braille, and has sensativity concerns that prohibit her
from learning/using Braille.
The client needs to be able to use her ipad and/or iphone to record
data in areas, like high trafic hall ways and rooms with horrible
Acoustics, and has difficulty distinguishing  the VoiceOver speech
from other sounds in her environment. Ear buds and headphones do not
seem to help her.
We are looking to see if there is a way to stream VoiceOver to her
implant, when in bluetooth mode, and will accept any and all
suggestions on how she might more effectively access her ipad given
her sight and hearing loss.
feel free to e-mail me directly if you have specific ideas.
Laine Amoureux
Statewide Assistive Technologist
Idaho Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired
laine.amoureux at gmail.com