[Trainer-talk] Antivirus Software

Jeanine Lineback jeanine.lineback at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 13:42:35 UTC 2013

This is a great discussion. It has always frustrated me that as a
screen reader user I feel I have to choose between a better rated
antivirus software package or one that I can use effectively as a
blind person.
In today's world of malware, security breaches, virus hacks and
downright malicious software it's important that as persons using
assistive technology we don't allow ourselves to get left behind,
when it comes to making good choices about our antivirus
protection.
One of the reasons I wrote my second message on this topic, was
to indicate that research on which antivirus packages were highly
rated should be part of the process one should include when
choosing an antivirus package.
I try to first look at how a particular antivirus package is
rated and what measures are used to rate the packages. Then I
investigate how it might work with my screen reader and lastly I
investigate the cost effectiveness of my purchasing a particular
package.
One thing I'm guilty of, is not investigating the quality of
antivirus software frequently enough. I've noticed that although
in 2010 Microsoft Security Essentials was one of the top rated
antivirus packages it is no longer rated high in the list.
Microsoft has been quoted as saying that it only keeps its
security features up to minimal protection for those who won't
purchase security software.
Each year websites like consumer report, PCMag, and Pcworld
publish reviews and lists with antivirus ratings and reviews. I
usually either recommend that persons asking me which antivirus
software to install, look at such reviews and research the facts
of which package is the best rated and fitted for their computer
usage habits. If the individual is a student and needs assistance
with this process, I have been known to work it into a lesson on
doing research on the internet.
Like some of you have mentioned, I have been guilty of putting
more weight on, which antivirus software works best with my
particular screen reader. However, with the increase on more
malware, viruses and wide spread security holes; over the last 5
years, I have altered my behavior and what I pass along to
others. I suggest that they start by researching which antivirus
software is going to protect their computer most first and then
look at other factors, such as screen reader compatibility.