[Trainer-talk] An Equivalent to Outlook?

David Goldfield disciple1211 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 24 23:35:14 UTC 2013

Jim,
I have a few comments regarding this thread.

First, Cdesk is from Adaptive Voice
www.adaptivevoice.com
and is not something I've used.  It is a suite comprising 14
applications including an email client.  Cost is $395.00.  They also
sell a package known as the Cdesk Navigator which includes a PC
installed with Cdesk along with a printer for a whopping 2300 bucks,
which I think is absolutely unreasonable.  However, the software might
be to your liking although I'wouldn't  pay four hundred dollars if the
main thing you're looking for is just the ability to send and receive email.
This company used to produce a separate package called Cdesk for Media
which made it easier to download and extract titles from BARD.  While
perusing their Web site as of a few minutes ago I can't seem to find
this program listed although the Cdesk Compass suite claims to offer
some sort of NLS/Bard support package contained within the suite.

What operating system is the client using?  While I don't care for
Windows Live Mail it does work well with screen readers and is a part of
the Windows Live Essentials suite.  Its commands are nearly identical to
those of Outlook as far as basic email usage is concerned.

I also will agree with David Andrews about Thunderbird.  Its commands
are similar to those of Outlook and it works well with screen readers,
including NVDA.  However, Thunderbird has the annoying habit of placing
the subject of the message before the message sender in the list of
messages.  The order of these items can be changed but doing so is
extremely difficult if you're a keyboard user.  However, it is a very
robust program with tons of configuration options.