[Trainer-talk] Controlling JAWS with a Braille Display

Nancy Vanderbrink nvanderbrink at sccb.sc.gov
Tue Jul 8 12:36:00 UTC 2014

Hi folks,
Was looking through the documentation in the JAWS help file yesterday because I'd like to do more with my braille display, like control jaws with it, rather than just using it as a device for reading.
So, here's a basic question, I think anyway, I had a bit of a difficult time understanding the concept of how to connect different parts of a keystroke together in order to perform them.
I've got a focus 40 blue, the newer model, and am running jaws 15 on a Windows 7 machine, the one keystroke I could not figure out or find documentation for was, alt f4, escape made sense, but I couldn't find alt f4.  I'd also like to know how to perform an f6 so that I can move from Payne to Payne in both windows explorer as well as word 13, etc.
If any of you are focus braille users and use it to control jaws, if you could offer some tips that you've found helpful on top of the keystroke, I'd appreciate it.  Now that I know how to alt tab, that will help a lot.
On this subject, have any of you used it with windows 8?  Any suggestions on that as well?
Thanks!
Nancy V
July is fireworks safety month. Eye injuries from fireworks can be traumatic. Prevent Blindness America estimates that there are over 2000 eye related injuries caused by fireworks each year. The South Carolina Commission for the Blind encourages you to use caution around fireworks. Let the professionals handle them! For more information about how the SC Commission for the Blind can help you or a loved one, please visit us at www.sccb.state.sc.us or give us a call at 803-898-8731.