[Trainer-talk] Tactile Graphics from a jaws user's perspective

Nancy Vanderbrink nvanderbrink at sccb.sc.gov
Thu Jul 10 16:08:45 UTC 2014

Hey folks,
My agency just purchased a Phoenix braille embosser with the Firebird graphics program.
I am the JAWS instructor, and have enough vision to see colors, but beyond that, it's exhausting.
So, here's what we're trying to do.  My boss wants us to get things like maps of malls, maps of the area surrounding our complex and other useful things, like the layout of the transit station maybe, and primarily use these for O&M purposes.  However, are any of you using this piece of technology when working with your students/clients?
I spoke with support at Enabling Technologies and they basically confirmed what I was discovering, these are graphics, this is drawing pictures, this is not going to be something I'm going to be able to do without sighted assistance.  Have you all found this to be the case?  Are some of the blind folks on this list using these products independently?  If  you are using these what sort of things are you able to do independently, and what do you need sighted assistance for?
I personally found the documentation to be non-existent at worst and at-best, unhelpful, so I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel so-to-speak.
So, the long and the short of it is, are there anything that you guys are using graphics embossing for, and do you have suggestions on using the software?
Thanks, you guys have been incredibly helpful so far.
Nancy Vanderbrink

Nancy VanderBrink
Assistive Technology Instructor
South Carolina Commission for the Blind
1430 Confederate Ave Columbia, SC 29201
Office Phone: 803-898-8735
Email: nvanderbrink at sccb.sc.gov

July is fireworks safety month. Eye injuries from fireworks can be traumatic. Prevent Blindness America estimates that there are over 2000 eye related injuries caused by fireworks each year. The South Carolina Commission for the Blind encourages you to use caution around fireworks. Let the professionals handle them! For more information about how the SC Commission for the Blind can help you or a loved one, please visit us at www.sccb.state.sc.us or give us a call at 803-898-8731.