[Trainer-Talk] BNS from consumer's perspective

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 03:06:43 UTC 2015

I used a BNS for years, even as a work device. Although it’s somewhat antiquated in its robotic speech, in needing to use DOS for some things, and having old-style connectivity, I loved that it was completely portable and lightweight. I now use a Braille Plus, but don’t like its touch—partly because it feels “rubbery” as you’re typing, partly because it lacks the oblong keys of the BNS or Perkins; also, if you were to use a Braille display with it, that makes it two units to lug around. If someone would come out with a notetaker as lightweight as the BNS, with a similar typing feel and oblong keys—and a Braille display of 18 cells or more—I’d be a very happy camper! I have seen several of the newer notetakers, and they all feel clunky, which is why I’m not opting for them. I have enough stuff to lug around!

Sandra
“To love another person is to see the face of God.”
(Les Miserables--the musical)