[Trainer-Talk] Amazon Fire Tablet

Brett Boyer bboyer202 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 21:11:39 UTC 2016

Very cool news! Thanks for the info!

-----Original Message-----
From: Trainer-Talk [mailto:trainer-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of New
Vision Tech Center via Trainer-Talk
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 12:37 PM
To: trainer-talk at nfbnet.org
Cc: New Vision Tech Center <newvisiontechcenter at gmail.com>
Subject: [Trainer-Talk] Amazon Fire Tablet

Hey All,
Thought I'd let you know we bought a Amazon Fire Tablet for $49 to try
out in the class room with the new screen-reader and zoom built in. You
can enable it out of the box and it has a lovely tutorial as I believe
was demonstrated on the Main Menu Podcast. Seems to work pretty well
with books and their other apps. I haven't tried out email yet, but
that's on the list. It came setup out of the box with my Amazon Prime
account.

The gestures are very similar to that of VoiceOver.... Flick right and
left... I really enjoy custom shortcuts like a few gestures that act
like a back button and home button.
I haven't messed with the Zoom much but it seems pretty snappy. Over all
its pretty impressive experience. You do get some ads that pop up or are
displayed on the lock screen from time to time. But I think for an
additional $20 you can disable those... Not sure if you can do that post
purchase but I'd imagine so. The on-screen keyboard works well, you
touch and lift to type the character... Sometime I have a little
responsiveness issues or it seems its lost focus on the item I was on,
when trying to initate a double-tap. But over all its been pretty
fantastic. I had a student in today with an older Amazon Kindle Fire
tablet and it was a dog.... the screen reader had some weird gesture set
and didn't use a double-tap for activating items. And the broswer was
completely inaccessible. Also no Zoom, so their making huge strides.

Rock on!
-David