[Trainer-Talk] Portable device recommendations

New Vision Tech Center newvisiontechcenter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 14:54:44 UTC 2016

To answer your question. I think the iPhone or iPad are great solutions
especially if you've already got them. The Smart Beetle from HIMS might
be a good and cheap solution if you need Braille for editing. I'm not
too impressed by AccessNote.. I think it might be good for notes but not
a lot else. I want to say it can import RTF files but I'm a bit fuzzy on
that. I'd recommend a pro tool like Voice Dream Writer... Not Reader...
Writer. It can automatically generate outlines and quick ways to
navigate and supports several cloud solutions. It also supports MarkDown
writing natively.... As a blind writer I'd look into that.  MarkDown
allows you to stiputate formating right in your writing. For example you
want something to be a Heading or Title, You put a pound symbol in front
of the line. You want it bold you put two asterisks before and after the
item you want bold. You want italic use one asterisks... It's terribly
easy and writers love it because you can compose your material any where
and don't have to worry about file formats, a text file does the trick.
So just something to think about, there's tons of books and blogs about
it. To be clear you can use MarkDown syntax in any word processor you
want you will just need a converter tool on the back end to turn it into
rich text; Many publishing houses and self-publishing places are
markdown friendly and theirs plugins and what not to convert it into
pretty text.

Now the advantage of Voice Dream Writer is you can use custom voices and
more importantly you can create a custom pronunciation dictionary, so
words in your book aren't constantly mispronounced when your reviewing.
IOS doesn't yet provide this feature... I've also noticed Pages, the
Apple equivalent of Microsoft Word, it is pretty powerful but you won't
get the pronunciation advantages... Last point, double-spacing... don't,
I repeat don't worry about it. It a trival formating issue. Like
changing the margins of your paper or font before printing. In MS Word
you just highlight any text use your application key and go to paragraph
settings and change it to double-spaced. It can be added and removed and
its a trival thing for any word processor to do. Its a non issue. Hope
that helps. Rock on! Love to hear more about your writing experience I
have a student who's trying to get into writing.

All the best,
David Ward