[Trainer-Talk] Prefered OCR software?

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Fri Oct 28 21:45:13 UTC 2016

I think Open Book is easier to use than any of the others, but K1000 gives blind and very low-vision people the most control of the layout especially being able to see the image and adjust the reading order. Abbyy does convert to more formats. And it's cheaper, too.

I think if you are recommending equipment for individuals, I'd suggest K1000 for the academically inclined, Open book for those who just need to read stuff in a fixed location and KNFB Reader for people who have a tablet or phone and have to read on the go.

For people whose vision is good enough (and stable) where they don't use a screen reader, consider K3000 especially if your student is a visual learner. It's very expensive but much easier to navigate visually.

We are also starting to really like the Prodigee for low-vision folks because it magnifies and does OCR together.