[Trainer-Talk] CSUN questions

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Wed Feb 8 16:03:41 UTC 2017

I haven't been to CSUN's access technology conference since it moved to San Diego. And in the past I used to work for various vendors. Today, I work for a college serving a diversity of print-impaired students and I'm really excited about going this year.

I'd like to hear tips from other BVI folks, or their friends about getting the most out of the conference. I have confident O&M skills and love exploring.

I used to feel like I missed out on something interesting every time I went. Especially with it being in an unfamiliar convention center, I want to be sure I learn the most about technology that's truly recommendable. I also want to be sure I attend the sessions that are more informational and less a recitation of the vendor's sales literature.

To me, one disappointing aspect of the conference was always about all the "pie in the sky" technology that enterprising researchers showcased, but which wasn't available for the average disabled consumer. I want to steer clear of all that "spam" and focus on what's new that I can recommend with a good conscience!

I also have questions about the physical layout of the place - best secret dog relief area - is the Braille map useful and what's the quickest way to get a meal? And I have questions about the social aspects: whose suites are worth visiting and who I should try to track down to have a quiet meal with, etc.

It's fine to contact me off-list.

--Debee

armstrong deborah (AT) deanza (DOT) edu