[Trainer-Talk] Seeking accessible video capture software

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Tue May 2 14:44:12 UTC 2017

This is a problem we've all had. You are working with an application using a screen reader. It's not quite accessible or intuitive. You can use the program or the website , but it's tricky.

When this happehns to me, I want to make a video that shows the exact steps. It would record what I'm typing, what's onscreen and what my screen reader is saying.

This way I could send the video to a developer to show them an accessibility glitch. Or I could send it to a student's helper to show a work-around for accessing something tricky.

I already use a digital voice recorder if I want to demo something to a blind student, but I'd like a way to send a demo to a low-vision or sighted person that would work for them better than simply audio.

Is there Windows software that will do this that is accessible to the screen reader user?

I thought of holding up my iPHONE near the screen but I probably would aim it wrong since I wouldn't have feedback about what it is capturing.

Thoughts?

--Debee