[Trainer-Talk] Changes to MSOutlook 2016

Tech Center newvisiontechcenter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 13:37:15 UTC 2017

I use this app from Google, Google Sync tool, expressly made to setup
calendar, contacts, email all at once for Outlook. Not sure it work the
same for a free G Suite account but worth trying. Super easy.

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync

If you don't ever see a seperate webpage from Google while setting up in
Outlook 2016 then its not going through the new improved OAuth mechanism
(at least is something like that). Which is to say you'd need that old
fashion "less secure way enabled" if you can you want the new way. that
way if you change you password you don't have to re-login everything you
own.

-David

On 9/12/2017 12:59 PM, Jim Portillo via Trainer-Talk wrote:
> Good morning,
>

> Does anyone know if MS Outlook 2016 has made some recent changes?  I'm
> setting up a new computer for a student, and when I loaded Outlook 2016, it
> came up with a very different way of setting up email accounts.  Right away,
> it automatically assumed that I wanted to install an Outlook.com account,
> and when I kind of fumbled my way through the choices until I got to where I
> chose to add my account manually, I tried adding a gmail account, which was
> ready to go from gmail's standpoint regarding the third party thing.
>
> It seemed to give me the imap settings, and when I entered the password, it
> told me that something went wrong and gave me options, none of which were
> "cancel."
>
> Anyway, I'm wondering if something happened to the program that changed
> settings, and if I'm going to have to do anything new or different when
> setting up accounts.
>

> I have Outlook 2016 on one of my personal laptops, and I had absolutely no
> problems setting anything up, because it was the same layout as previous
> versions of Outlook.
>
> Thoughts or help?

*David Ward*
Assistive Technology Instructor at New Vision
(Formerly Voice of the Blue Ridge)
Phone: 540-985-8900
Fax: 540-985-8992
Website: www.newvisionroa.org <http://www.newvisionroa.org>