[Trainer-Talk] Fwd: [Leasey] Potential Training Course: Microsoft PowerPoint with JAWS for Windows.

David Goldfield david.goldfield at outlook.com
Sat Nov 17 13:32:57 UTC 2018

The following email was from Brian Hartgen and was taken from the Leasey mailing list.

Several weeks ago, we were asked if a training course could be created to teach people how to use Microsoft PowerPoint with JAWS. People not only wanted to learn how to prepare visually appealing PowerPoint presentations, (including adding graphical images), but also how to add music or sound to them, run the presentations as slide shows and add or review Speakers Notes.

This training course has now been researched and it is possible this could be produced in January of 2019. Teaching this subject however is very high risk in a number of areas.

As blind people managing our small company, we will need to ensure that visual assistance is obtained so as to include visually appealing graphics of the required dimensions. But most importantly, it is our view that the support currently provided in terms of screen-reading with PowerPoint from Office 365 is simply not sufficient for what we need to do. Conveying this subject in easy to understand terms was always going to be tricky, but to do so when the access you will receive in this area has shortcomings is even more problematic.

A basic example would be accessing the Speakers Notes. These are notes or reminders to you, the person delivering the presentation, as to what you can say above and beyond what is stated in the slide the audience is viewing. There used to be a keystroke which would allow focus to be set to that area of the screen. This is no longer possible. Moreover, if you are using a Braille display, how are you going to read those notes without disturbing visual focus away from the application? A mechanism for listening to those notes also needs to be found. There are also a large number of other inaccessible areas which need some attention.

To that end, as with all our training courses, we would need please a commitment from anyone interested to make the project viable. This would allow for the delivery of the training course together with bringing the existing JAWS support up-to-date.
We have had a small number of people expressing an interest in this subject so far, but whether it goes ahead really does boil down to what kind of commitment we do receive.

The training course would be delivered over a four-hour period in January of 2019. It would include details of many aspects of creating presentations in an accessible way, identifying (as far as possible) whether the presentations were visually acceptable, navigating through slides, working with visual themes, using tables and bulleted lists, editing presentations, delivering your presentation to an audience, and more. A full course outline would be presented if the training course goes ahead.

If you would like to purchase this training course, please write to brian at hartgenconsultancy.com<mailto:brian at hartgenconsultancy.com>. We will then send to you an invoice for payment. Assuming we have enough committed people to make the course viable, then we will present the details formally on our website with a full course outline. The cost would be £50 which is currently $62. We would ideally need to hear from you by 7 December 2018 because that will give sufficient time for the JAWS scripting work to go ahead prior to the commencement of the training course in 2019.

If we do not receive a sufficient response, unfortunately we cannot take this project further because there are many hours of work ahead even before a training course of this magnitude can start to be prepared.

We very much look forward to hearing from anyone interested in what could be an interesting venture.

Brian Hartgen
Choose Hartgen Consultancy for high quality JAWS Script Writing, training and our products including J-Say, J-Dictate and Leasey.
Opening Hours: 9 AM to 5 PM UK time, Monday to Friday.
Telephone (in the UK) 02920-850298.
Telephone (in the United States of America) 1-415-871-0626.
Telephone (from any other country) +44-2920-820598.
Visit our website for more information!<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hartgenconsultancy.com.%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C141f5aec6bf3456ef24b08d64aea57cc%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636778767688772047&sdata=0OiMdS2zSr4VF9RmdISoseLrzKYtLprJv0qcBzeJkjI%3D&reserved=0>

Follow us on Twitter, HartgenConsult.
Like our Facebook Page.<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fhartgenconsult&data=02%7C01%7C%7C141f5aec6bf3456ef24b08d64aea57cc%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636778767688772047&sdata=oNDroMYwsNoyhsXfl4jHSrMfYgPnhpGM2D8WGEJQf4c%3D&reserved=0>