[Trainer-Talk] Longer "smart" Braille displays

Mabry, Jessie Jessie.Mabry at ct.gov
Mon Oct 15 14:28:21 UTC 2018

Good morning, list,

I'm hoping to find a so-called smart Braille display for a student-one longer than 20 cells so he can read at length. We'd like it just to have some kind of text editor for jotting notes, and the capability of accessing BRF files on its own. He doesn't need a full-fledged notetaker since he already has other devices with similar features for accessing the internet, wordprocessing, etc.

The only semi-appropriate displays I can find that are still being sold are the Braille Edge and the Focus 5th Gen. The Edge hasn't been updated in many years, though, and I've heard that the Focus scratchpad might need some work. Am I missing something, or are these really the only ones out there? Neither seems like an ideal choice. I think the Brailliant BI 32 would be a great size, but of course it doesn't have the extra features, and I heard there's a firmware bug that can prevent it from working with Macs. The student uses a MacBook Air and an iPad.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone with thoughts/options.

Thanks,,
Jessie Mabry