[Trainer-Talk] Tips on Attending my First Professional Conference

Kevin Andrews kejandre at ucsc.edu
Wed Mar 6 17:45:52 UTC 2019

I second the comment about looking at the agenda ahead of time. If you can,
get there early and scope out the venue. Don't be afraid to walk up to
random people and strike up a conversation. Some of the coolest
interactions I've had at these things have been in the elevators, hallways
and nooks and crannies in between sessions. People usually congregate at
the hotel bar or whatever after sessions are over with and make dinner
plans, or for refueling with lunch/coffee. Obviously don't feel pressured
to drink; I'm saying you can use that as an area to meet people. I can
guarantee you aren't the only first-timer. Be sure to take your laptop and
a charger. Try to find an outlet--this is easier said than done but if you
can, get to the room early and locate an outlet so you and 10 other folks
aren't scrambling for power sockets. A way to take notes is also really
helpful, at least for me, as you'll find it's a lot of information and will
get overwhelming so taking notes is key to remembering info and jotting
stuff down, and also helps keep you engaged so you don't zone out or nod
off... Just some things I can think of off the top of my head.

--
Best,

Kevin Andrews
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Accessible Technology Coordinator,
Scribes and Readers Coordinator
Disability Resource Center
University of California, Santa Cruz
Website: drc.ucsc.edu

Direct Line: 831 459-1262

Please allow 24 hours for a response. For immediate needs, contact the DRC
main line by phone at 831-459-2089.

Confidentiality Notice:This e-mail communication and any attachments may
contain confidential and privileged information.If you are not the intended
recipient(s), you are hereby notified that you have received this
communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination,
distribution or
copying of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by
replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.