[Trainer-Talk] helping non blind users

Humberto Avila humberto_avila.it104 at outlook.com
Thu Mar 7 03:25:49 UTC 2019

Hello Jim,

What I am about to say right now is a bit of a truth for thought regarding assessments from IT / educational IT type companies. This takes me back, oh, way back to my college experience. I took a class entitled, "Advanced Spreadsheet Applications" about three years ago, and during an exam, which yeah I couldn't take myself in the comfort of my PJS because the platform that was used was so inaccessible, they kept asking the types and kinds of questions they had asked you in the test you took.
It's so unfortunate that assessment companies aren't taking the time to truly research the many possibilities... there is just more than one way to do everything. Yes there is, but they keep insisting that a user must be able to see with pealed eyes and capture clicks with a pretty mouse...  :)
I would say that the first thing you would do, is befriend Google to see if you can get descriptions of the images. If you have training materials you could study, try reading them every single word, to see if the images in question are relayed in some way.
All else I would just find a trusted person to describe the images so you can learn them... and yes, please keep advocating and persisting in the name of accessibility. If you've gotten a chance to give feedback, do so, and explain there's more than one way to get things done beyond looking at images and knowing what they are unless screen reader developers start implementing ways to get such images relayed to us — something I would hope they do if they want us to compete with the sighted world.

Good luck and hope this helps.
— Humberto

“Positive thinking leads to a positive attitude which leads to positive actions which lead to positive outcomes.”
— ME