[Trainer-Talk] Google File Stream

nikpetersson at blindmast.com nikpetersson at blindmast.com
Sat Aug 8 22:10:05 UTC 2020

Good day all and happy Saturday.

I hope you are all having a good weekend.

I would like to know if anyone out there has worked with Google File Stream
and Office applications.  In short, here is how it works and what my issue
is:

Google File Stream is an enterprise product that let the G-suite and Office
applications play nice with one another and also lets you set up folders
where the files do not belong to the individual, but to the "team".

If I have a document open in office and another team member (Member -A MA)
has it open in Google Docs.  I can make edits and as soon as I press CTRL+s
the changes are updated in MA'a Google Doc window.  If MA makes edits I am
notified by JAWS and Word that there is an updated version of the document
and I can click to either merge/update or compare.  This popup appears to be
inside of the Word application window in the bottom right on the status bar.
The mouse can be used to click on this.  I have tried F6 and CTRL+F6 and
JAWS cursor and invisible cursor to get to this pop up, but no joy.

I have this far contacted, FS, Microsoft, and Google, but no one had
anything useful to share.  Has anyone else worked with this product and if
so, how did you address this issue with real time updates.  To be fair, if I
close my word doc and reopen it the changes are there, but there are also
some issues around word overwriting what is in File Stream, but one thing at
a time.

Again, I hope you all have a good weekend and I thank you all in advance for
your thoughts on this issue.

Kind regards, Nik.

Nik Petersson

Seniore Accessibility Consultant