[Trainer-Talk] Zoom Question

Snow, Amy L. (IT) amy.snow at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Wed Dec 2 18:38:56 UTC 2020

Good afternoon,

I wanted to let folks know what we found out with our trial meeting with Mac OS and Zoom:

Mac OS (latest version) running VoiceOver will announce when a participant enters the waiting room (though this is not indicated visually anywhere in Zoom).  I have contacted Zoom to address this issue.  Many of our staff see this as a privacy concern since this behavior is inconsistent with the expectation of privacy that is held by both the host and individual in the waiting room.  Additionally, the fact that Mac OS allows VoiceOver users access to information that is not accessible to those not running the screen reader (specifically sighted people) is a privacy issue.  The main concern expressed by our staff is that an individual using a Mac with the latest OS and the VoiceOver screen reader can hear the names of individuals entering the waiting room and prompts the user on how to let them in regardless of the fact that they are not the host.

I hope this information is helpful.

Amy