[Trainer-Talk] JAWS Drag and Drop feature

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 15:45:30 UTC 2020

Greetings. I have a low vision student who is transitioning to JAWS.
She is using JAWS in my classes. She is taking some Blackboard classes
through the local community college. These classes use workbooks where
she has to drag and drop items for assignments. Her solution up to
this point has been to unload JAWS and use the mouse, and then load
JAWS again. This is not an acceptable solution since she should be
using JAWS for everything. Normally if someone asked me how to use
drag and drop, I would redirect them to clipboard commands, since
those do the same thing. However, in this student's situation, she has
to use the JAWS Drag and Drop commands to do the exercises in the
workbooks. She has exercises she needs to complete for the current
courses, but she has been highly recommended to advocate for more
accessible solutions going forward. I have researched the commands in
the JAWS Command Search and passed them onto a colleague who covered a
class for me. He tried to use these commands and reported mixed
success. He also reported the second command locked the left mouse
button and caused JAWS to not give any feedback. Below I will paste
what I found in the JAWS Command search. I modified the wording of the
commands to make them more understandable.  I am wondering if these
are reliable commands to use, or if anyone can offer any additional
thoughts.
The first time this keystroke is pressed, the JAWS cursor must be
positioned on the object to be dragged. Next, move the JAWS or PC
Cursor to the location where you want to move the object and then
press this keystroke again to complete the drag and drop action.
Shift JAWS Key 8: drag and drop an object
Control Shift Num pad Slash: drag and drop other things

Be well,
Wayne Merritt
--
Follow me on Twitter: @wcmerritt