[Trainer-Talk] Using virtual ribbon menus in JAWS

Raul Gallegos rgallegos at nagdu.org
Fri Jul 23 03:09:23 UTC 2021

I am personally not a fan of the virtual menus because I think that it ends
up setting the user for failure in the future. If people will recall, many
many years ago, Jaws had a special hotkey, insert with f6, to quickly take
you to the desktop icon area. Of course, this was done to help people since
Windows key with m or Windows key with d did not yet exist. However,
because of this, when Freedom scientific removed that hotkey, it caused a
big Ruckus because users were so used to doing it that way, they did not
think that any other way would be valid. Therefore, using this example,
along with several others, I always teach the real way of using a menu or a
computer hotkey that belongs to the operating system or program before I
will teach the screen reader way of doing the same thing. Yes, it might be
easier today, yes, it might be more convenient today, but that could easily
change and leave the user stranded. As to your question, I let my students
know what the options are and I explained to them my reasoning for trying
to learn the real way of accessing ribbons or other dialogues. In the end,
if the student wants to learn the screen reader way, I will put the
disclaimer out there that this may only work with that screen reader
specifically and it may disappear. I hope this helps.