[Trainer-Talk] Accessibility of Epic software for healthcare

Nik Petersson nikpetersson at blindmast.com
Tue Feb 8 22:08:36 UTC 2022

Good day everyone and happy Tuesday.

I have a client who is interviewing for an inbound call center role for a hospital that uses Epic software for healthcare management.

Searching on the net and tapping into the greater minds out there I find the following:

The NFB took Epic to court a couple of years ago for being in accessible, but that was dismissed, and Epic just said they would do the best they could.  However, it also talks about how Chicago lighthouse has worked with local hospitals and epic to make the scheduling software fully accessible.

Lastly, FS has not input on this and the Epic VPAT statement is also unclear on what is and is not accessible.

In short, does anyone here have knowledge of what level of accessibility Epic has on what platforms and what does and does not work and where can one locate any documentation.  What would be great is if someone from the Chicago Light house that was involved in that project is on here.

I thank you all in advanced for your assistance with this and wish you all a continued fine Tuesday!

Kind regards, Nik.

Nik Petersson
Senior Accessibility Consultant
Miles Access Skills Training LLC